Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 10 (Friday)

Today was our last village day for a while. We got a bit of a late start on things today, but we eventually headed out of town a little before lunch. Our plan was to meet up with a village family that I had planted corn with when I lived here. I'd also spent a week living with them (one of my not-so-fun thrown in a village for a week excursions). Actually, I really enjoyed the time that I spent out with this family. The grandfather and I hit things off and I was looking forward to seeing him again.

When we arrived in the village, it was market day. I'm glad that Lindsey got to experience this, because it is a pretty authentic village experience. Basically everyone from all of the surrounding villages comes to this one village every couple of weeks to buy and sell goods and produce. Essentially you're surrounded by a few thousand villagers all buying things. We ended up finding our friends there and eating Liang Fen (another local thing I'm glad Lindsey was able to experience) with some old grandmas that were just hanging out at a table.

After the market we headed up to my friend's house. It is a good ways up the mountain and the view from there is amazing. When I lived with them we would go out hiking around the mountain to chop down trees to feed to the goats. We caught up with grandpa and spent some time sitting around the fire talking to him. I'm pretty sure he was drunk, since he didn't have a shirt on and his fly was open the entire time (and he didn't seem to care), but it was good to talk to him anyway. He has said he believed before, but I think he isn't really clear on what we're talking about most of the time. Either way, it was a great day of catching up with him.

No comments: