Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Salty Roots

Today was the last of the down days for my trip. For being a down day, I was out doing a lot of stuff. Mostly just hanging out with people though. There is a lot of that out here. i was going to go and meet some of my old teachers this morning. I needed to be there around 10:15 am, so I took off walking up the hill to get there at about 10. Well turns out it is a lot longer walk than I remember and they changed some of the bus routes that take you there, so I ended up getting there at about 10:30. They had all gone back to class but I got to hang out with A_ and C_ for a few minutes while they were on break. I talked to some of the other people up there that I knew and we set up going to lunch tomorrow, so I'll get to see them all then. C_ and I decided to hang out later that night and A_ was done with class so we went and grabbed some lunch and some smoothies. There is this great smoothie place in town where they mix up all the fresh fruit right in front of you, and for under $1 it is hard to beat. We hung out there for about an hour and mostly talked about the dumb things we'd gotten into with Mo back in college. After that I did a little DVD shopping. I've found out that if you have a couple of hours to kill it is a great thing to do because the shops out here have tons of them and they are in no particular order, so it takes forever to find what you want. Later tonight I went and hung out with C_. He and a group of locals were eating dinner, so I met up with them. It was this little place right across the street from his apartment and it was pretty good stuff, except I didn't really care for the fish. Just something about a whole fish coated in spicy peppery stuff didn't really do it for me. That and the fact that we are hundreds of miles from water didn't really make it seem like a great idea to eat. But I gave it a go just so I could say I did. We went back to C_'s apartment and hung out with some of the guys that are living out here. We got out the guitars and started playing around. Turns out C_ is in a band and the boy can play. So we played around for a while and then called it a night.

No comments: